Maintaining an Antminer S19j Pro can be a challenging task, but with the right knowledge and tools, it is possible to keep your miner running at its peak performance. This guide provides comprehensive instructions on how to identify and fix common problems that may arise when operating the Antminer S19j Pro. It will provide step-by-step guidance for routine inspections, chip tests, signal flow checks, resoldering of chips, as well as testing of hash boards using a tester. With this guide in hand you’ll be able to ensure that your miner continues to operate smoothly.
Preparation and Maintenance Guidelines
It’s essential to take the time to properly prepare and maintain components before, during, and after installation. This includes applying thermal gel for better heat transfer, forming air ducts for better airflow, connecting power supplies in the correct sequence, fixing chips to prevent overheating, and ensuring test fixtures meet production requirements. Additionally, these guidelines should also include instructions on cleaning components with approved solvents such as isopropyl alcohol or distilled water, as well as how to store components away from extreme temperatures and humidity levels safely. Finally, regularly scheduled maintenance checks should be carried out every few months or at least annually to guarantee the proper functioning of all parts within the system.
Preparation Requirements for Repair Platform, Tools, and Equipment
I. Platform Requirements:
- To perform maintenance work, an anti-static maintenance workbench is required. It should be grounded, and an anti-static wristband and grounding are necessary.
II. Equipment Requirements:
- Constant temperature soldering iron (350°C-380°C) with a pointed tip for soldering small patches such as chip resistors and capacitors.
- Hot air guns and BGA rework stations are used for chip / BGA disassembly and welding.
- Multimeter with welded steel pins and heat-shrinkable sleeves for easy measurement. The recommended model is the Fluke 15b+ multimeter.
- Oscilloscope. The recommended model is UTD2102CEX+.
- A network cable is required for an internet connection and a stable network.
III. Test Tool Requirements:
- ARC Antminer Hashboard Tester
- Lab PSU 10-30V / 1-15A
- APW12 power supply: AP12_12V-15V_V1.2 and power adapter cable. It is recommended to use thick copper wire for the positive and negative poles of the power supply to connect the power supply and the power board and only limited to PT1 and maintenance test use.
- Use the test fixture of the V2.3 control board (test fixture material number ZJ0001000001). The positive and negative poles of the test jig need to be installed with discharge resistors. Using a cement resistance of 20 ohms and 100W or more is recommended.
IV. Maintenance Auxiliary Materials/Tools Requirements:
- Solder Paste 138°C, flux, Mechanic lead-free circuit board cleaner, and anhydrous alcohol.
- Mechanic lead-free circuit board cleaner cleans up the flux residue after maintenance.
- Thermally conductive gel is used to apply to the chip surface after repair.
- Ball-planting steel mesh, desoldering wick, and solder balls (the recommended ball diameter is 0.4mm).
- When replacing a new chip, it is necessary to tin the chip pins and then solder them to the hash board. Apply thermally conductive gel evenly on the chip’s surface, then lock the heatsink.
- Serial port code scanner.
- Serial port adapter board RS232 to TTL adapter board 3.3V.
- Self-made short-circuit probe (use the pins for wiring and welding and heat the shrinkable sleeve to prevent short-circuit between the probe and the small heatsink).
V. Common Maintenance Spare Material Requirements:
- 0402 resistor (0R, 051, 10K, 4.7K,)
- 0402 capacitor (0.1uF, 1uF)
- When replacing a chip, pay attention to the operation method. After replacing any component, check that the PCB board has no obvious deformation. Check the replacement and surrounding parts for missing parts, open circuits, and short circuits.
- Maintenance personnel must have electronic knowledge, at least one year of maintenance experience, and proficiency in BGA/QFN/LGA packaging and welding technology.
- After repair, the hashboard must be tested more than twice, and all tests must pass.
- Check the tools to ensure that the test fixture can work typically. Determine the parameters of the maintenance station test software, the version of the test jig, and other related parameters.
- To test repairing and replacing the chip, test the chip first and then do the functional test after it passes. The functional test must ensure that the small heatsink is welded correctly, the large heat sink is installed, and the thermal adhesive gel is applied evenly. When using the chassis to dissipate heat, two hash boards should be placed simultaneously to form an air duct. For single-sided testing in production, the air duct must also be formed.
- When measuring the signal, use fans to dissipate heat and ensure the fans are at full speed.
- When powering on the hashboard, connect the negative copper cord of the power supply first, then the positive copper cord of the power supply, and finally, insert the signal cable.
- When disassembling, reverse the order of installation. First, remove the signal cable, then pull the positive copper cord of the power supply, and finally, remove the negative copper cord of the power supply. If you do not follow this order, it may cause damage to U1 and U2.
- Before testing the pattern, the repaired hashboard must cool down before testing; otherwise, it will lead to testing NG.
- Pre-tin the chip pins with solder paste to replace a new chip and then solder them to the PCB for repair.
Overview of Antminer S19j Pro Components
S19j Pro Hashboard Structure
The S19j Pro Hash Board contains 126 BM1362 chips, divided into 42 groups of 3 chips each. The operating voltage of the BM1362 chip used in the board is 0.32V. Seven groups (36th-42nd) are powered by the boost circuit U238, which provides LDO power for each group. The 35th group is supplied by VDD 15V, and 0.32V reduces the voltage of each domain.
Boost Circuit of the S19j Pro Hashboard
The boost circuit raises the voltage from the power supply (15V) to 20V.